1 want to spend my final chapter of ministry being used by God in the way that has the maximum impact for his kingdom. It seems to me that in the coming century, Africa will be the continent that under God's mighty hand will take the message of Jesus to the whole world. So if I can sow into the emerging leadership in Africa, that will have a world-wide effect for years after I am gone and forgotten.
The 55 nations of Africa already have a significant impact on the world:
- Africa currently has a population of 1.1 billion, and will increase to at least 2.4 billion by 2050.
- In 1950, Africa accounted for only 9 per cent of the world’s population, but by the end of this century about 40 per cent of all humans (and nearly half of all children) will be African.
- In 1900, there were only nine million Christians in Africa, but by the year 2000, Africa had an estimated 380 million Christians. And still growing strongly!
- Africa's population is the youngest among all the continents; 50% of Africans are 19 years old or younger. (Average age in Australia is 38).
- In the top 20 countries in the world where the Christian faith is growing the fastest, 19 of those countries are in Asia and Africa.
Our reason for going to Africa is that we get to raise and develop the next generation of Christian leadership and disciple-makers, so that all the world may come to know about Jesus.
This is a big job. Please pray for us.